EDT 11 - LESSON 11: DRIVING CALMLY
What is the objective for Lesson 11?
For most of this lesson you should be driving independently and making your own decisions.
During this lesson your ADI should make sure that you can remain in calm control of your vehicle in situations where you may be:
- exasperated; or
- feel threatened.
Your ADI should make sure that you understand the fundamentals of:
- being fit to drive; and
- safe loading of vehicles.
What is the minimum this lesson should cover?
In this lesson, you should experience driving situations such as:
- joining busy main roads;
- entering junctions while driving independently;
- simulating the stalling and re-starting of the vehicle; and
- parking on a road with significant numbers of other parked cars and moderate traffic volumes.
You should also cover:
- planning for a journey; and
- fitness of passengers to travel.
Expected outcomes: what should I have learned by the end of Lesson 11?
At the end of the lesson, you should be able to:
- demonstrate appropriate anticipation of and reactions to other road users;
- drive safely and independently without hesitation or prompting;
- explain how to deal with peer pressure or other distraction;
- recover promptly and smoothly if the vehicle stalls; and
- recover promptly and smoothly if conditions force you to stop.
You should also be able to explain what might cause you to be unfit to drive including the effects of:
- prescribed medication
- lack of sleep
- heightened emotions
You should be able to describe the consequences – for your own safety and for the safety of passengers and other road users – of driving in an unfi t condition.
You should also be able to describe the legal implications of driving in an unfi t
You should be able to describe the possible consequences of carrying passengers
who are likely to distract you.
You should be able to explain:
- the effects on a vehicle of it being fully loaded;
- how to load a vehicle safely and securely; and
- the importance of not carrying more than the maximum number of passengers.